Old July 5th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

Default cowl shake

"Itsfrom Click" > wrote in message

> will adding a spring tower-to-tower brace reduce the cowl shake on my
> '06 GT convert? if so, should I get an aftermarket part, or the FoMoCo
> part? (and if it makes a big difference, why the heck isn't it
> standard).
>
> I'm not talking about hard use here.....it's just a toy used for normal
> driving (and 1300 miles in 2 1/2 years).......but the cowl shake is
> annoying - hit a bump and you have to watch the windshield, dash &
> fenders dancing. am also not amused since all the magazine reviews
> crowed about the lack of cowl shake ...... in fact, the 5th covert I've
> had and the only one where it is a problem.
>
> comments/recommendations appreciated!

Yes, absolutely, and it probably doesn't matter which brand you install. But
I wonder if there isn't more at play here.

Our original Princessmobile ('88 LX 4-banger) had A-pillars that waved with
every passing breeze. CFrog ('93 GT) is much more solid, but will still
respond to a hard jolt. I rented an '06 convertible that was absolutely
TIGHT, in comparison to the other two. No noticeable cowl shake in the three
days I drove it.

I'll join with those magazines. And I have to wonder if there's something
wrong with your own setup, other than just the lack of an aftermarket brace.

dwight