Old October 23rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.energy.automobile
Grumpy AuContraire

Default Figuring Out How Much a Hybrid, Diesel, or Small Car Will SavePer Year

dgk wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:12:39 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire
> > wrote:
>

>>EdV wrote:

>>>You are right, there's a way to compute Carbon emission per kilometer
>>>or something, Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not a hybrid owner. To
>>>be honest I'm guilty too, do I want a keep my money and buy a less
>>>expensive non hybrid car or do I my part to reduce carbon emission and
>>>buy a hybrid. I kept my money.
>>>

>><rant on>
>>
>>Why izzit that every new catchword becomes yet another fad.
>>
>>Got a carbon problem?
>>
>>Plant more trees!
>>
>>Why izzit that modern day PC folk insist on re-inventing wheel?
>>
>><rant over>
>>
>>JT

> Planting more trees is a good idea and we're doing it in my
> neighborhood. But there is a limit to how many trees we can fit
>
> It looks like human activity is causing some global problems. That
> isn't really very surprising to me. We've dumped lots of stuff that
> never existed in nature back into nature. We've cut down most of the
> rain forests. We've pumped all kinds of stuff into the atmosphere.
> We've caused the extinction of countless species (yes, we could
> probably count them but I'm using the term to mean "a great many").
>
> And when it's pointed out that perhaps we'd better do something to
> protect the only planet we have and pass it on to future generations,
> we get all kinds of gruff. Well, fine, maybe we're wrong and there is
> no problem. Let's just continue what we're doing until it's too late.
> Maybe science will come up with a fix. Or maybe we'll all get wiped
> out or face a much more hostile environment.
>
> Really, why should it bother me anyway? I'll be dead. I guess I'll buy
> that hummer after all.

When it can be explained to me why adjacent planets are also warming up,
then I may admit that human contributions, (which by the way amount to
less than .5% of the increase in recent years), might be a factor.

The loss of carbon conversion can largely be attributed to the
destruction of the tropical and other rainforests and in that way, yes,
we are a factor and one that could easily be reversed.

But that does not 'plain the planetary warm up...

JT