Old November 24th 05, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1999 Honda Civic Ex MasterKey

N8N wrote:

> LetzSee wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private
> > party. It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but
> > it doesn't has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet
> > key.. with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from
> > outside.
> >
> > i dont have any key code for this master key..
> >
> > Could you please advice me how to get the master key(duplicate) for
> > this 1999 honda civic Ex.. Is there any chance to get that from any
> > Honda Dealer?
> >
> > Appreciate your help.......

> I have no idea if this is true for Hondas or not, but Porsche used to
> use a master/valet key arrangement. The cut of the keys was exactly
> the same, but the blanks were different - if you copy the valet key
> onto a master key blank, you have a working master key.

This is correct.

The Honda keys I'm familiar with use a thicker blank for the VALET
(NOT "valvet") key. They are otherwise identical to the ordinary
ignition key.

To the OP: It's pronounced "val-AY" (first "A" as in "apple"). Valets
are the beggars who park your car at fancy hotels. You give them the
valet key so they can't steal your stuff from the trunk.

Now if the OP has the actual original key in a worn state, the key will
have a 4-digit number pressed into the shaft. This number may be used
by the dealer to obtain a new key (with proper documentation, of
course).