Old November 23rd 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1999 Honda Civic Ex MasterKey

> > Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private party.
> > It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but it doesn't
> > has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet key..
> > with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from outside.
> >
> > i dont have any key code for this master key..

> I have no idea if this is true for Hondas or not, but Porsche used to
> use a master/valet key arrangement. The cut of the keys was exactly
> the same, but the *blanks* were different - if you copy the valet key
> onto a master key blank, you have a working master key. How it worked
> was one of the wafers had a notched cut in it, and the master blank
> would hit one side of the cut and the valet key would hit the other.
> Thus only one of the keys would release that last wafer.

I'm looking at the keys to our '92 Accord and I see that the "cut" is
identical. The only difference I see is the cross section of the cut area on
the "master" key is thinner than on the valet key.

So I agree, just get a new key cut using a "master" blank instead of a
"valet" blank and it should work fine. That's assuming they are like the '92
Accord keys.

Steve