Old March 10th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected][_2_]

Default 1999 VW Jetta engine codes

On Mar 9, 6:05 pm, Brian Running > wrote:
> > Could still need a O2 sensor, but if it's too lean the O2 will not produce
> > any activity... thus the fault. He needs to fix the lean/rich faults first.

> Okay, but -- and believe me, I'm not arguing with you, I know you're a
> VW tech and you know your stuff -- how do you fix the lean/rich faults
> first? I suppose there any of a number of problems that could be the
> cause, and it could take any amount of time to find them. An O2 sensor
> is easily located and replaced. No need to look any further, not
> time-consuming at all. As I said, it's at least logically related, so
> what the hell, replace it and play the percentages. If it works, then
> you're all done. If you don't have a good reason to believe the various
> codes are related somehow, then no, you don't just take blind stabs in
> the dark.
>
> Someone with access to all kinds of diagnostic equipment and having all
> kinds of specialized skill and experience, well, that's another matter
> altogether...

Good question, I have no idea how to fix the lean/rich issue. I do
know that I replaced the sensor and haven't seen the light come back
on. The engine is running smooth, and I have gotten the car to the
proper temperature for the sensor to generate an output. I will keep
you guys posted if the light comes back on, thanks for all the
advice. And again, more info would be appreciated about rich/lean
faults.