Old November 13th 05, 10:20 PM
N8N

Default GM engines

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Jason wrote:
>
> > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

> OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
> question in, but we can try to help you here.
>
> > Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
> > the engine was made.

> That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
>
> > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

> The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
>
> The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
> problem-prone designs.

In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
hitch after 10K miles.

OTOH, my 18 year old Porsche 4-cylinder is smoother AND QUIETER. go
figure.

> > Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick. I looked at
> > Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic transmission oil
> > level.

> Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a lifetime
> item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's lifetime is
> obviously over.
>
> > My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
> > 100% trusted for that long?

> Oh, some of the seals might last that long. Go read the newspapers,
> though: Can GM be trusted to last that long?

I have my doubts about any modern transaxle lasting 10 years without
regular fluid changes and adjustments, no matter what the dealership
says.

nate