Old June 19th 05, 09:46 PM
Bret Knol

"PC Medic" > wrote in message
news:Kidte.89151$yV4.30309@okepread03...

> "Bret Knol" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Two days ago I replaced the cap, rotor and wires on my '99 Dodge

Caravan,
> > 3.0. (38,000 miles) Today, the Service Engine Soon light came on. Since

it
> > is still covered by the Extended Warranty, I made an appointment to have
> > it looked at, along with having the clockspring recall done on Monday.
> > I double and triple checked my work, looking to see if maybe I
> > incorrectly wired the cylinders (this checks OK) or made some other

basic
> > mistake, but could not find any problem. The van seems to run fine. I

may
> > go up to the nearest AutoZone and see if they will scan the codes for me
> > to see what the problem may be.
> > My question to the group is: Does anyone know of a common
> > problem/error/reason why the light should come on so soon after doing

the
> > wires/cap/rotor? Or, is this probably just coincidence?
> > I know it is difficult/impossible to say without knowing the codes. I
> > would just like to know if anyone might have some insight on this.
> >

> I am assuming the car still runs without issue and keep in mind that

without
> seeing the codes it is just a guess at this point.
> With that said (and though it would be quite early on), I would make my
> first one O2 Sensor.
> A couple other responses I have seen regarding low end plug wires I would
> find doubtful. One, if this were the cause there would most certainly be a
> change in how well the car ran (hesitation, rough idle, something) and I

do
> not see where it would set a code. Now the possibility of a BAD wire/plug
> could cause this I suppose, but again, you would notice a difference in

the
> way the vehicle ran and you make no mention of this.
>
> Try pulling the codes from the ignition switch (On, Off, On, Off, On).

This
> should cause a sequence of grouped flashes of the check engine light. Each
> group separated by a short pause. For example: 1, 2, 2, 1, 5, 5, would

work
> out to code 12, 21, 55
> 12 = PCM power loss or battery recently disconnected (tends to show with
> other codes for odd reasons)
> 21 = O2 Sensor
> 55 = End of codes
>
> Have you double checked all the wire harnesses around where you were

working
> to be sure you did not knock one loose while doing the tune-up?

Yes, the van runs quite well now.
Yes, I did check the wiring around where I was working, just to make sure I
didn't do something stupid, and found nothing out of place. Of course, this
does not guarantee that I didn't do something stupid, but if I did, I can't
find it.

I will check around the O2 sensor and see if I can find anything amiss.
Failing this, I will, no doubt, find out tomorrow when I bring it in to the
dealer for warranty and recall repair.

I was under the impression that the on-off-on-off-on-off did not work on
after the '96 model year. (It works fine on my '92 Dynasty). Am I wrong in
this assumption? I'll have to check it out.