Old August 12th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default Code P0102 MAF

MAF went again on the '01 lw300. Tried to pass on the highway and the engine
hiccupped and went dead. Very odd that all the lights came on (service, SES,
reduced power), no response from accelerator pedal but tach showed 1500 rpm
even in neutral. Pulled car to shoulder while the car I tried to pass gave
me the 'bird'...

Turned the key off and then restarted the car. SES light stayed on but
engine ran. Shut down engine again and pulled the 'controls B+' fuse to
reset the ECU. SES stayed off for the next hundred miles I drove. When I
stopped for a rest break and restarted the motor, SES came on.

Called Carquest where I get most of my parts and they told me 'dealer only'
for the MAF. Called the local NAPA dealer and was told they could get it for
me next day if I paid in advance. Came to $117 plus a $32 core charge. This
is a remanufactured item.

After I ordered the unit through NAPA, found that it is also stocked by
Autozone for $80 with a $45 core charge.

Both the NAPA and Autozone units are remanufactured by Cardone to meet or
exceed OEM specs. I also found that the NAPA is private labeled but comes
from Cardone also.

RockAuto.com had a choice of suppliers ranging from $129 to $292 (core
charge included).

Guess I'll be rethinking where I get parts from in the future.
Oppie