Old January 28th 10, 01:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

Default Inspecting AC system on vehicle before summer months

"techman41973" > wrote in message
news:e39f4c81-3abc-. Should this be done every year? Can this
> be done when the weather is still cooler? What
> specifically should I have my mechanic check. How many hours of
> labor should this cost me?
> Thanks

If it is the same car, you have indications of a leak since it has had to be
topped
up with refrigerant. Therefore you should do it every year, until and
unless you
have the leak found and repaired. If the leak gets worse, you may not be
able
to hold a charge for a season.

He can check it in cool weather, either recharging it according to the
pressures,
or by removing the refrigerant, measuring it, and recharging to specs.

He should also check the condition of the condensor (and radiator) to make
sure it is not blocked by grass, dirt, etc.

He should check the belt for condition and tension. It is important that
the
fan(s) are working properly...if they dont, the engine can overheat.

I dont know what it will cost you as that will depend upon the going flat
rates
in your area, amount of refrigerant replaced, and problems identified.
Last time I had this done (when I replaced my evaporator core) it was about
$100-150.