Old August 12th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Ford axle shaft installation

I have a 1972 Ford Mustang, 351C-4V. I just finished swapping out my
rearend gears on the Traction-Lock differential (went from 3.25 OEM to
3.89 Richmond). Pumpkin is back in and I was able to get the right-
rear axle shaft back in place with no problem. I cannot get the left-
rear (driver's side) back in. The wheel bearing sits out of the axle
housing about 1/2 inch and will not seat all of the way. The axle
splines (28-spline) are engaging the differential splines as I feel it
and I can rotate the pinion with the axle shaft, but it feels as if
the axle shaft is bottoming out on something when inserted. Don't
know what it is.

I've tried pounding it in with a hammer (to be sure that the bearing
just was not seating properly in the housing), and I then tried
pressing it on with the bearing retainer plate with the bolts on the
brake backing plate, which simply ended up bending the bearing
retainer plate (which I now need to replace). This is driving me
nuts. Like I said, the right-rear (passenger side) went in with a
breeze, but I cannot get the left-rear to seat in there. What can be
holding it up? Anyone ever have this problem? I did not
inadvertently swap the axles (left for right) because I kept track of
them since removing from the car.