Old November 8th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
MrCheerful

Default No pressure on clutch pedal - can't change gear

Al Reynolds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just gone out to my 97 Honda Accord and there is no pressure on
> my clutch pedal.
>
> If I push it down, it goes all the way to the floor, and if I then
> lift it a little the spring causes
> it to come back up. Initially there was a little bit of pressure
> bringing it back up, but now
> there's none (engine off or on).
>
> When the engine is on, I can't engage any gears, presumably because
> depressing the
> clutch pedal is not having the normal effect. With the engine off, I
> can select any of the
> gears, and if I start the car in a gear it 'jumps' which implies the
> clutch *is* engaged
> and the gear selection is working. I am a bit wary of doing this too
> much as I don't want
> to put unnecessary strain on any other components in the
> clutch/gearbox.
> My guess is clutch master or cylinder - does that sound right? Is
> there anything simpler
> that could cause these symptoms? I had a full service about a month
> ago, so all the
> fluids should have been topped up then, and I haven't noticed any
> fluid leaks on the
> driveway. I'd go and check the fluids right now but it's dark and
> there's a gale blowing!
>
> As it stands I'm going to have to get it towed to the garage as I
> can't drive it at the moment.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer,
> Al
>
> PS If anyone in the UK is reading, what sort of figure should I be
> looking out for a new
> clutch cylinder fitted at an independent mechanic?

It may be either cylinder or the hose. Most common in my experience is the
slave (at the gearbox) Last one I fitted was about a hundred quid IIRC Put
some more fluid in, pump the pedal a few times and see where it falls out,
either inside the car or on the floor.