Old July 28th 09, 04:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jacek

Default Diagnostic tools for Audi A4, 2002

On Jun 26, 9:34*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> Sounds like you did some backprobing with all the plugs connected.
>
> For a good tool to use...............go tohttp://www.ross-tech.com/
> Is the one that is highly recommended!
>
> A good repair manual, Bentley for the USA, is also highly recommended.
>
> I am not familiar how that system works, but it might be a sticking relay or
> control module. *Probably the ross-tech adapter could help you easily find
> the problem. *;-)
> There are also clones on ebay and others out there too that are
> cheap/cheaper, but the ross-tech adapter holds excellent resale value.
>
> JMHO
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Jacek" > wrote in message

> On Jun 20, 12:27 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
>

> > wrote:
> > So did you use a vag-com CAN tool to determine that the position switch on
> > the transmission is working properly?

> > "Jacek" > wrote in message

> > On Jun 15, 7:34 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
> > wrote:

> > > I second that tool!

> > > It might be a position switch on the transmission, but what does the
> > > dash
> > > indicator tell you? Does it always read 'R'?
> > > Might be a relay too!
> > > Not sure what the tip trans has.
> > > Have a repair manual?

> > > "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in

> > >http://www.ross-tech.com/

> > Thnk you for the advise guys. The problem is far more involved that
> > this. A simple back-up light switch applies only to manual
> > transmissions. This one has a "transmission range switch" which does
> > a lot more. The switch is good. The signal coming out of the
> > transmission is good. I believe there is a problem with the
> > communicaiton between various modules. Something, somwhere is telling
> > the "electrical power control module" to turn the back-up lights and
> > tilt the passenger mirror. Something other than the normal signal
> > coming from the transmission itself. Short of having various modules
> > available and trying to troubleshoot them one by one, I'm stuck. I'm
> > afraid a dealer will spend way too much time on it. I don't know how
> > well and how quickly they can diagnose the problem.- Hide quoted text -

> No, I don't have any diagnostic tools. *I don't know what to get,
> there are so many of them out there. *I did measure the voltage on the
> "reverse light" signal coming from the transmission switch and it
> reads "0 VDC" on all poositions except "10 VDC" on "R", which
> obviously is correct.- Hide quoted text -

I just got the ross-tech type tool from e-bay. It was sent twice to a
wrong address - ha, ha. Finally got it. It did show a number of
issues that I have to spend more time researching. Seems like the
Comfort Control Module is a major suspect, something I suspected from
the beginning. I hope it will not put me in the poor house if I have
to buy one.

Will keep you posted.

jacek