Old September 9th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default '01 LW300 groaning

"Oppie" > wrote in message
> "Private" > wrote in message
>>
>>> The engine with all it's solidly mounted accessories is a huge sounding
>>> board. Sounds are pretty readily coupled throughout the package which
>>> makes localizing a bit difficult.
>>>

>> You need to try a proper diaphragm type stethoscope to realize just how
>> good they really are. The screwdriver in the ear can be helpful as is
>> the length of hose, but IMHO, neither come close to a diaphragm
>> stethoscope.
>>
>> Just my .02

> And a good .02 it is. I'll keep my eyes open for one.
>
> I'm still looking to buy one of the funky tools to remove the reusable
> bands around all the intake runners so I can service the thermostat. It's
> buried way under the intake plumbing.

IIRC these clamps are easily removed using any fairly large adjustable
pliers or 'water pump' slip joint pliers. The clamps self lock in the open
position, and can be closed by pressing on the lock open tab (with a
srewdriver or such).

IIRC, I purchased my last diaphragm type mechanic's stethoscope for <$10,
high quality does not seem to be much of a concern, but as always, YMMV.

Happy trails.