Old December 30th 09, 06:30 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default Giulietta - new photos

Zathras wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:22:43 +0000, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Although the design is not the only
>> reason, it's a *very* substantial one. The new Alfas (Mito and
>> Giulietta) are ugly IMHO.
>>
>> [1] 12[3] I *think*. I might be more, but I've been celebrating
>> birthdays so I may have missed a few.

> You must be quite ancient by now.. ;-)

They're like cocktails. When you've had a few, you stop counting

>> [2] 4 currently
>> [3]
>> 116 series Giulietta
>> 116 series Giulietta
>> 1.5 Sud Sprint
>> 1.7 Sud Sprint
>> 3l 75
>> 2l 75
>> 2l 75
>> 2l 155
>> 2l 156
>> 2.5l 156
>> 3.2l GT
>> 2l 145
>> 2l GTV
>>
>> so 13 then in all.
>>
>> I think that qualifies me to voice my opinion.

> I think you're omitting some explanation here. The 75 is no looker
> and, to a much lesser extent. neither is the 116. I guess the
> reasoning for having one is the engines, handling and character? So
> you have traded looks for something else in the past or you're taste
> has improved over the years, which I doubt. ;-)

Heh. Actually I like the looks of both the 116 and the 75. I don't like
pretty cars, as I've said before, but I would say that both had a
certain presence. And they were, in my memory, at least, *different*

I saw a 159 in Lakeside today. I actually thought it was a VW or a Ford
from the back

> Leaving aside the looks then, I assume you're simply not expecting the
> compensations (as there were in the 75 and 116) to be able to overcome
> the looks of the latest models? Surely the rot set in many years ago
> when Alfa had to migrate their larger cars to front wheel drive?

See above.

> IIRC, many years ago (before you could type), you weren't that keen on
> the front wheel drive 156..maybe the new models will grow on you?

I'm still not keen on the 'basic' version. I know everyone takes the
mickey for the pram handle that I liked, but I *always* wanted one with
the sport pack.

> I've another theory which is that, the 156 seriously increased the
> expectations many Alfisti have for their Alfas designs and when the,
> perhaps, unattainable isn't delivered, the disappointment is
> particularly severe?

That is also possible. I just think they've lost the spark. Or seem to have.

> Anyway, have a good new year..I've got a birthday coming up in the
> next few days but I'm so old and senile now, I've no idea which one it
> is... At least the bevvy will stop me minding how old and senile I am.
> Having said that, I'm at a tender age where hangovers last for days
> instead of hours!!!!! :-(

Have a damned good one, old chap (no offence)

> Just a final quick one..out of all your Alfas, which *unmodified* one
> did you like the most? 3 litre 75 would be mine.

Yes. Without a doubt. Sadly it was a total death trap and more air than
steel.

I think it looked the *second* best. The 156s looked the best of the
un-modded ones

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk