Old September 28th 04, 06:51 PM
SBlackfoot

> > I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
> > thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
> > loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
> > the nut from working its way off the stud.
> >
> > Larry
> >

> Yes. It's actually got a more complicated explanation than that, but
> you got the sides correct. Studebaker did the same thing, although they
> quit sometime between '56 and '62. Chrysler was using LH thread as late
> as 1969 and maybe later (that's just the newest MoPar I've worked on.)

Shouldn't the left hand threads be on the right side, so they'd tend to
tighen upon themselves with forward motion? I'm thinking if the nut was
loose, and the wheel suddenly started spinning forward, a right hand thread
on the right side would tend to spin off, correct? Or is this where that
complicated explanation comes into play? ;o)