Old September 5th 11, 05:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
PaxPerPoten

Default What's burning out the radiator fan relay, 98 Grand Voyager 3.0?

On 9/5/2011 11:06 AM, Mark Goodall wrote:
> Thanks, Mopar Man. And PaxPerPoten, check out this fan test:
> http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jee...lay_test_6.php
> I ran the test with my multimeter, passenger side fan showed about 10 amps, driver side fan 62 amps! Does this test sound kosher? I didn't know you could test potential current draw with just an ohm-meter. If so, could I have fried the new PWM relay before the fans tried to spin? I read the whole article, but I can't check the 'relay' because I don't have a 'generic scanner' and probably wouldn't know how to use it. Would Advance or Autozone be able to test the relay? I just spent big bucks on the relay, so if it's fried they'll replace it, but if it's okay I'll keep it, replace the fans, and keep troubleshooting. By the way, I'm a 53 year old audio engineer, so I'm a little green when it comes to working on cars.
> Thanks a whole lot, guys

R/V=A Not a very accurate way to measure current. The very best is
still a DC current meter and the fan running. You can also use
a clamp around the wire device that is hooked to a DC Current meter
rather then an in line system. A clamp current detector can also be used
on your "O" scope.

ages who mean to govern well, but *They mean to govern*. They promise to
be good masters, *but they mean to be masters*. Daniel Webster