Old September 1st 04, 02:31 PM
Felix Miata

Default Rotary Engine FAQ 0409

Questions answered in the Rotary (Engine) FAQ:

1.How does a rotary engine work?
2.What's a boinger?
3.Why does a rotary engine make as much power as a boinger twice its size?
4.Why does a Renesis make so much more power than prior rotaries?
5.How reliable is a rotary engine?
6.Is the rotary engine dead?
7.What do the 10A, 12A, 13B & 20B Mazda engine designations mean?
8.Why two spark plugs for each rotor?
9.What spark plugs should I use?
10.Why does my rotary Mazda have an oil cooler?
11.What oil should I use?
12.Should I use synthetic oil?
13.Do oil brands matter?
14.How often should I change my rotary engine's oil?
15.Should I mix oil in the fuel?
16.What's the best fuel for my rotary car?
17.What gas mileage should a rotary get?
18.Does a rotary have any booby traps I need to watch out for?
19.Will removing my thermostat help my rotary run cooler or make more power?
20.When should I shift?
21.What is an apex seal?
22.How do I know if my engine's apex seals are OK?
23.What should my engine's compression be?
24.What are the differences between earlier & later Mazda rotaries?
25.What are the differences between 6-Port & 4-Port rotaries?
26.How do I tell a 12A from a 13B?
27.What is a thermal reactor?
28.What's the best way to test changes I make that affect my car's power?
29.What if I switch to a light flywheel?
30.How do I get the old flywheel off?
31.How hard is it to stop oil from leaking?
32.O-rings? What o-rings?
33.What's that foamy stuff under the oil fill cap & inside the filler tube?
34.Why does my engine smoke when I first start it?
35.Why does my engine smoke when I shift at high RPM?
36.Why won't my engine start? What can I do to start it?
37.Why is my engine locked up, and what do I do about it?
38.My engine just failed its emissions test. Now what do I do?
39.What's the best way to make my rotary car accelerate quicker?
40.How hard would it be for me to rebuild my rotary?
41.What is porting all about?
42.Can I add a turbo to my NA?
43.Why is rotary exhaust replacement or improvement so expensive?
44.Why not hollow out the cats?
45.How do I remove my air pump?
46.How do I stop the backfiring?
47.How can I tell if my car has a limited-slip differential?
48.Where can I race my rotary car?
49.Corvttes, Mustngs, Firbirds, Camros, Porches & RX7s?
50.What are the RX-7 "generations"?
51.Which model RX-7 do I have? How do the various RX-7 models differ?
52.What other regular production cars have had rotary engines?
53.Why did Mazda stop selling the RX-7 in the US?
54.How do I subscribe/unsubscribe to the mailing list?
55.Is there an RX-7 club I can join?
56.My question's not on this list. Where do I go from here?

Plus, links to the RX-7 generational FAQ; tech goodies, such as the "Rotary
Parts Interchange" & "replacing 12A with 13B", in "The Garage"; links to
information on upcoming rotary models and rotary history; acronymn dictionary;
instructions for subscribing to mailing lists; links to vendors, like:

Mazda Auto Recycling
Mazdaformance
Mazdatrix
Racing Beat
Rotary Performance Online
Yaw Power Products

and much more.

Just click on URL below to get to Felix's.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Psalm 33:12 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** Rotary ONLY since 1973

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/ <- More than just a FAQ