Old July 24th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
SeaWoe

Default antique temp sensor

On Jul 22, 10:55*pm, SeaWoe > wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2:36*pm, wrote:
>
> > Need info on how a mechanical temp sensor works and how much
> > instantaneous current flows on a 6 volt unit. *It is a King-Seeley
> > unit apparently with a pulsating contact in the sensor. *It works on a
> > 6 volt power suppy with high current available but not on a 3 amp
> > limited regulator! *Trying to run it on a 12 volt system.

> > Thanks for any info.

> > Gary

> In the block or *head is s gtempeatore sensitive detector. Resistance
> will increase with heat and change the amount of
> current that can flow. The gauge wired to the battery )eventually)
> will cause the needle to move to the aspot on the to show the small
> ccurrent (and thus the heat of the water)
>
> Go to your library and get an ld Dykes motor enclylopedia, *if it is a
> car of the 1930s or earlier. If it's a newish car, 1946 or bewer,
> Dykes may stillo work or a newe book similiar to Dykes.
> (My libriatran Aunt was nice enough to give me a "discard" in 1954. I
> had it for years)
> A full ffledged Auto Museum coculd help, too.

Interesting car, the Graham. The Graham started with money from making
bottles and ended up, despite ownership changes, as part of kaiser-
Frazer, thanks to Joe Frazer, who Henry Kaiser grabbed as a partner
as he knew the uto industery.
From car making, the firm went on to owning Madison Square Gardens!"
I wrote an article, "From bottles to Barnham Bailey? or something
like that thirty or moire years ago...