Old December 4th 04, 04:42 PM
Charlie Giannetto

In article >,
E.R. > wrote:
>In a previous posting, (Charlie
>Giannetto) had the audacity to say:
>
>: Although I haven't taken mine up past that value, the limiter on the
>:US S4 is on paper only
>
><Japanese voice>
>
>Ahh, rawsuit protection! ;}
>
></Japanese voice>
>
>not actually turned on in the ECU software),
>:according to some reputable sources on the AudiWorld forums. The car
>:should top out at or around 170 (assuming you had a place that you
>:could actually reach that speed).
>
>Are you sure it's not actually limited at all, assuming the
>source rumour is correct? 'Cause I believe even the (original)
>Euro spec cars have a 155 mph governor... which I personally
>don't think is outrageous[ly low], but clearly a small
>proportion of owners does.

I've read of people exploring the limits of the car on AudiWorld,
although I have no first hand experience. I believe that the limiter
value is indeed set to 155 in the ECU but the limiter flag itself is
actually set to false, which disables the function. The lack of a
speed limiter isn't really an issue since the speed (even at 155)
is still well beyond any legally acceptable level on any public road
in the US. 155 is something that the European community has agreed
on I believe so I'm not sure the fact that it might not be implemented
on a US spec car would be all that significant.

If you would like to look into this further, I suggest going to the
AudiWorld.com or B6S4.com web sites and searching for information on
"speed limiter" or "governor".

- Charlie
04 S4 MT6