Old April 20th 05, 03:37 AM
Brent P

In article >, Spike wrote:

> I think one law enforcement exchange program experience would open
> your eyes to a presence you fail to observe.

Guess you're not going to provide a cite or address anything I've written.

> Perhaps as you are
> traveling at 100+ the natural tunnel vision which develops blinds you
> to the obvious.

You're wrong. I've driven the autobahn, crusied at 90+mph and was just
keeping up. I never passed many people, even when I had the car topped
out at ~118mph. The only other car in the area at that time though was a
cop, who was ahead of me and slightly gaining on me.

Meanwhile, the actual data shows the autobahn safer than US interstate.
And I have to agree. I've never felt safer on the road than I did on the
unrestricted autobahn. The competence of the drivers around me was
amazing to me. No me first **** you games, no passive aggressive
assholes, no nothing. Orderly, effecient, fast and _SAFE_.

> Then read the annual reports from the people who
> manage the Autobahn. Read the engineering reports regarding the
> construction and maintenance of the Autobahn, and you will see that
> there is no other system, as old or new, which compares to what has
> gone into creating, maintaining, and improving the system, anywhere in
> the world, although some of the newer Japanese route are approaching
> first rate.

Yes, and there is no reason, the US tax payer should put up with the
slip-shod crap that's done regarding our roads. Our roads should last a
lot longer. But even with the crap we have, 80-95mph is generally fine
for most interstates. Can't do 200mph anywhere there is winter, but
45-55mph speed limits are just there to serve lowest common demonator
thinking, revenue goals, and of course the ability to stop just about
anyone at any time.

> You cite the Autobahn and how much more the drivers comply
> compared to the US. The Autobahn, extensive as it is, is a very small
> piece of the European roadway system. The portion you don't mention is
> nowhere near as complying. I would suggest that you get over there and
> do a much wider range of travel, and then question why the Autobahn
> has more compliance. It is not simply because the drivers are more
> polite.

Round trip from hamburg to flensburg to keil to flensburg to hamburg and
I saw ONE cop. He was driving about a 120mph and I couldn't keep up with
him.

Surface streets, I never saw a cop car that wasn't parked and empty.
Drivers were well displined. Light was green, we moved. No dillyadallying
morons. Social correction is also present, no 'just-let-em-do-it' crapola
like in the USA. I was making right turns on red and getting dirty looks,
so I asked one of the guys in the plant and found it's not legal there. I
ceased making right on reds.

BTW, You might want to learn about what's based in Flensburg, you might
be surprised.

<refuse of top posting deleted>