Old February 6th 19, 01:26 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech
arlen holder

Default Which glue, available at any hardware store, for the screen of a mobile phone?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 01:06:33 -0000 (UTC), arlen holder wrote:

> One more interesting related detail...

Hi The Real Bev,

Off the cuff, while we're at the detail of gas cans for perpetual home
refueling, I found that it's best to fill the trunk with as many cans as
can fit, since that prevents them bouncing around on windy mountain roads.

Also, if octane ratings are an issue, most people on these two newsgroups
should know the basic math (except the 3 little kids, pfjw, John-Del, &
Fox's Mercantile).

Given I buy only at Costco (which is Top Tier with respect to poly ether
amines, but I buy it for price and ease of filling since they're almost
always empty in San Jose once they expanded their station to a huge size),
they only have 87 and 91 AKI (which is the average of the research and
motor methods for anti-knock index).

You can just mix proportionate parts of each to get any rating in between
that you may care about.

I have vehicles that "require" the higher octane rated fuel but I rarely,
if ever, bother to mix the appropriate mix since they have knock sensors on
the side of the engine which enable the engine electronics to retard the
timing, if I were to need it.

In reality, I've studied it for my particular vehicle (a bimmer) which
pretty much, the way I drive anyway, doesn't _need_ the higher octane rated
fuel, which, as you may know, isn't "better" (it's just different).

A ton of morons out there think a higher octane rating means it's more
flammable (how many times have you heard about "high octane fuel" fires,
where only a moron thinks they burn any better or worse than lower-octane
rated fuel fires, within the settings of the typical automotive fuel.

Heck, kerosene has a higher octane rating than does automotive gasoline,
which is lost on those morons who think "hi-test" gives them "better
performance" (if their engine is working correctly and if it's spec'd for
the "regular"), where the octane rating is simply an average computed by
making a comparison to a mixture of heptane & what people refer to as
"iso-octane" but it's really 2,2,4-tri-methyl pentane.

All this you probably know, but I only state it because in my household,
there are vehicles spec'd for different octane ratings, where, if I cared
to mix the fuel, I could, but I don't bother for reasons that I know when a
vehicle will ping (e.g., high load, high heat, malfunctioning EGR, etc.)
and where it won't ping - and even if it "tried", the timing would be
momentarily retarded (which has a momentary negative effect, to be sure, on
performance but it won't "hurt" the engine).

In short, you can go to Costco, fill up as many cans as you can fit in your
trunk, and put them high alongside the driveway (or on the roof of the
vehicle under a towel) and fuel up at your own convenience.

In general, it takes four minutes and change for every five gallons.

Again, if you want photos of anything I've stated, let me know,
as my credibility is stellar on facts, since I only speak facts
as any reasonably intelligent adult would.

Note that any response from the 3 children will _always_ be that of a child.
o " >
o Fox's Mercantile >
o John-Del >