Old November 14th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Drooler[_2_]

Default Oil Additive to Stop Leak? Lucas Or 10W40? Head gasket issue

lbbss wrote:
> I have a slow leak in my saturn 2002 sl1 (80,000miles). The mechanic
> thinks it is likely the head gasket. I get about a 1 or 2 inch
> diameter oil leak on my driveway every day. Any product that you
> could recommend? I the Lucas oil stabilizer any good? Or would
> putting a heavier oil like 10w40 be a better idea to slow down the
> leak, or is that bad for the engine? Or both? So far I don't see
> any black smoke from my exhaust. Thanks.

Make sure your valve cover and oil pan bolts are tight - if they require
tightening expect a little extra leak as the oil is squeezed out and
recheck. I have an 21 year old Astro van with 185K - it was smoking a
little at startup. at a friends recommendation I started adding 1 QT of
Mobile 1 at oil changes. By the 2nd oil change the smoking had stopped.
Mobil 1 swells gaskets - so....