Old April 22nd 15, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default 1988 ( Cadillac runaway acceleration)

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 22:37:14 -0700, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>On 04/20/2015 05:37 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> Is this a rear wheel drive caddy with a v8 engine?

>V8, but front-wheel drive.
>
>And speaking of front vs rear wheel driving -- I seem to remember that
>the standard with rear-wheel drive is to brake going into a curve and
>accelerate going out to maximize traction. Wouldn't it be exactly
>opposite with front-wheel drive, even though it sounds absolutely
>unworkable?

In my 1965 drivers ed behind the wheel training they said to slow down
before the curve, then apply gentle power thru the curve. Not sure
really why they bothered, it's entirely pointless for normal driving
and they were not trying to get us up to speed for grand prix events.
I think it partly had to do with how RWD cars, esp back then, would
over steer if you gave them too much gas and spin out but if you went
into a curve too fast they would under steer and the front end just
plow off the outside of the curve. So they had you slow down going in
to avoid running off the outside from under steer and then only give
it a little power thru the curve so you wouldn't spin out. But again,
at normal driving speeds it's just a silly thing to worry about. On a
slippery road in the rain it might make sense if you tend to not slow
down much and with RWD. With FWD it think it's too complicated to
have a fixed rule, it will depend on how the car handles but since the
front tires handle 80% of the braking and 100% of the steering forces,
anything you do at "too high a speed" exposes you to problems with
loss of control if you then add to the high speed a change in the
demands on the front tires, such as changes in steering angles or
brake application. Maybe some of the weekend racers will chime in
with better explanations/corrections to my thoughts.