Old September 5th 05, 04:32 PM
John DiFool

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:56:33 +0200, "Stephen F."
> wrote:

>"ymenard" > wrote in message
. ..
>> >"David G Fisher" > wrote
>>> The multiplayer is now superb. Just ran the F3 mod and it was smooth as
>>> silk. Every race I've been so far (and I'm just jumping in servers) has
>>> been excellent. Contact can made without being knocked into hyperspace
>>> too.

>> That's great and all... but its still fantasy cars and tracks. I also
>> have no interest in that.
>>

>> The community will make or kill this sim. How long will you be driving
>> those few tracks and cars befor getting bored? Quick.
>>

>I actually prefer a well-designed fantasy track to some of the crap which is
>being passed off as F1 tracks over the last decade. I'm not saying all the
>fantasy tracks are great, but there are features in the LFS S2 tracks, for
>example, which are really enjoyable. Blind braking points over crests,
>blind apexes, diminishing radii. All the nasty stuff which modern F1 has
>denied us of.

Amen. A good fantasy track is often superior to a dull "real"
track. That said:

I'm not sure why a lot of "fantasy" tracks are actually rather boring
too-here you have total freedom to make something to really blow
everyone's socks off, and you make-what? A 2.2 mile road course
with virtually no elevation changes and simple constant radius turns
(no "compromise" corners either). In NR2003 I've seen far too many
of these. For some reason the racing community often comes
across as really conservative in some ways, and this is one of
them.

</rant>