Old June 25th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Pszemol

Default Carfax, Buying Used, & Craigslist.org

"jim beam" > wrote in message t...
> Pszemol wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> t...
>>> i've seen up to $3k on craigslist for stock 88-91 civics here in the
>>> bay area. that's if you can find one. the local ricers go nuts for
>>> them. even harder to find now that gas prices are high.

>> If this is true that this car is in demand beween ricing
>> enthusiasts than it will be very hard to compete them
>> for somebody who is looking for an economy car...

> the price is being bid up by people wanting gas sippers as well - even
> more demand than usual. but you can still get a sedan for under $1k,
> it's the hatchbacks that are in demand.

I see...

>> I can hardly imagine what good could come from
>> buying such an old car anyway. Yes, you could probably
>> find a cheap one but it will not be in good condition!
>> You spend a lot of time looking for it, driving around
>> for inspections spending money and time to find one.
>> Then, when you find one it will not be over...
>> Is your main goal not to have montly payments? You
>> *will* be paying montly (or weekly) payments anyway
>> but to the local parts store instead to the bank and live
>> in constant fear that the car will crap out on you in the
>> middle of the trip spoiling a day and causing you some
>> towing costs..

> eh? "constant fear"??? statistically, a new car has a greater
> probability of failure than one that's in the middle of its life.
> [bathtub curve]. at 176k miles, my civic is in the middle of its life.
> there are certain weakness in this vintage civic, main relay being the
> most notable, but it doesn't cost much to sort that stuff out.

Main relay, or - bigger problem like head gasket.
I am seeing blown head gasket the major fear of
older civic owners compared to other japaneese cars.

>> Does not seem to be such a bargain to me,
>> but you know, I am very spoiled ;-)

> as elle says, if you know these vehicles, you can save a bunch of dough.
> my 2000 civic depreciated at about $1,100 per year that i owned it. i
> couldn't spend that much a year in maintenance on my 89 if i wanted to.
> and the 89 has APpreciated in value since i bought it, not DEpreciated.

But compare the benefits of driving 2000 year model year with 89.
Yes, it is more expensive but it is a better car overall.

> and that's not accounting for the fact that certain models are better
> than others. imo, the 88-91 civic/crx is about the best car honda ever
> produced. i've tested/owned subsequent models of civic and they neither
> handle as well, nor are as comfortable as these first "real deal"
> 4-wheel wishbone civics. so that's why i drive them - they're the best.

I am glad you are so enthusiastic about this little car :-)