Old March 19th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2002 Honda Civic Power Los

On Mar 18, 7:11 pm, Tegger > wrote:
> wrote in news:1174255821.253719.284140
> @p15g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:
>

> > 2002 Honda Civic, Automatic, 38,000 miles lightly driven, well upkept
> > no problems other than a door sensor and an A/C heat sensor. Since the
> > winter time I have had a problem with engine power when driving after
> > the car has been idle for some time(ex. parked at the mall). It'll
> > start but once you start to drive it'll start to sputter, like the
> > engine isn't getting fuel. I'll be pressing the same amount on the
> > pedal but not much happening. I can floor it and it'll pick up and
> > won't happen after the initial 5 mins of driving. The car is also
> > idiling rough. Also noticable loss of power going up hills, which I'm
> > sure happens on the flats but not as noticable Mentioned it to the
> > dealer when I had an oil change but they could not duplicate it, no
> > surprise there. Ok so I did use a fuel system cleaner and replaced the
> > sparkplugs but the problem persists. I've heard it might be the timing
> > as well as the idle control valve. Any ideas? Thank you

> > Error codes:

> > P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage

> > Thats the code but my print out says "Manufacurer Contrl. Fuel Air
> > Metering????

> The first one is correct. Honda has a TSB on this issue: 05-006.
> Your ELD is defective. Bring it to the dealer.
>

> > P0132 Primary

> ...H02S Circuit High Voltage
>
> Do you have this code too? Likely need a new sensor, but some diagnostic
> troubleshooting is needed to make sure it's not a wiring problem.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Thank you Tegger.

Would the P1298 cause any performance problems? Would this faulty ELD
fail to detect any real electrical problems?

Can I check the 02 sensor myself? Where is it? I don't have the
equipment to test the voltage but can check to make sure the airflow
is not fouled or the wires/connection are not compromised? If I take
it out what should I be looking for, build up on the tip?

Could this be a fuel filter problem? I'll tell ya I've heard it all
from different boards I've posted on.