Old August 15th 19, 03:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos
drek

Default Web find - 5451.jpg - "RV-Adams-Motor-Bungalo-1917-520.jpg" 55.1 kBytes yEnc

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 18:30:02 +0100,Martin C

>Nice photo Rich.
>In the UK we have just celebrated 100 years of trailer/caravan mass
>production.
>I would be interested if anyone can date this photo' from the type/make
>of vehicle.

Smithsonian identifies it as "Adams Motor Bungalo, 1917" (attached).
(Photo from the collections of Al Hesselbart and the RV/MH Hall of
Fame and Museum)
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...e-rv-56915006/

This page calls it a 1913.
"The Smithsonian awards the honor of being the nation’s first
recreational vehicle to the Pierce Arrow’s Touring Landau in 1910."
"The images below are thought to be the two first mobile homes in
America."
"Left Image is on display at the RV and Mobile Home Hall of Fame and
is believed to be the oldest American travel trailer in existence but
not the first. It was built in 1913 for a professor in California.
(Courtesy of Wade Thompson, Thor Industries). Right Image is a 1915
Model T Roadster with a 1916 Telescope Apartment. The camper had
drawers and extensions on both sides and the end. (Both Images from
RV/MH Hall of Fame)"
https://mobilehomeliving.org/the-his...-mobile-homes/

The above site adds, "The Touring Landau used a patented fifth wheel
trailer hitch mechanism that permanently attached to the automobile.
The model was shown at Madison Square Garden and offered to the public
for $8,250. It lists a phone line to connect the trailer to the driver
and had a chamber pot."

I found 'RV/MH Hall of Fame' has little to offer on-line.
https://www.rvmhhalloffame.org/

Also note the photo attached from the Smithsonian reads, "Photo from
the collection of Glenn Curtis Museum". Glenn Curtis obtained the
first pilots license in the US and achieved nearly 140MPH on an 8-cyl
motorcycle he built. Then there were boats... Busy guy.
https://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/

I'm happy to leave it as early 1900s Pierce Arrow, but full info is
probably out there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV-Adams-Motor-Bungalo-1917-520.jpg (55.2 KB, 17 views)