Old June 24th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
twk

Default About the 7.5" axle

In article >,
Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:21:27 -0400, twk >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm getting tired of looking for a reasonable 8.8" axle and finding
> >$1000 deals on what appear to be unknown crap. For $1400 I can get a
> >brand spankin new one.
> >
> >I'm reading that the 7.5 is good up to 400 hp. Well, that does seem like
> >a lot of horse power, something my v6 will never put out.
> >
> >I'm looking for 3.73 gears and I'm willing to put in an 8.8" axle. I'm
> >always being told that I'm likely to break my 7.5" if I put in 3.73
> >gears.
> >
> >So after that blurb, assuming I put in 3.73 gears, my question is, what
> >breaks on the 7.5" axle? The gears? The axle shafts? The pumpkin? What
> >is the weak link?
> >
> >I've found nothing on the web on this. All I see is a lot of "I've see a
> >ton of 7.5's broken..." and such. Lot's of talk, no examples.
> >
> >I have a 2009 v6 vert, auto trans, GT exhaust take-offs, cold air
> >intake, and an SCT tune. That's probably the end of power train mods for
> >me. If I wish real hard I might be getting 240 hp. Will I break mine if
> >I stomp on it now and then with 3.73's?
> >
> >Thanks for reading.

> This is just my gut talking...... If you had a manual transmission
> and were launching by dumping the clutch at 4000 rpm it would be a
> worry, but with the Automatic you aren't going to get that kind of
> shock load so I don't think you will see a problem. So assuming it's
> been ok now, the only thing I can see the 3.73 possibly causing to
> break would be the axle shafts, those are the parts that will be
> mostly getting any additional load from the ratio change. But my gut
> says nothing will break since you are running an auto. And if you
> didn't abuse it, probably nothing would break with a manual.

Wow, thanks Frank & Ashton. There are others that would agree with you.

I do have a very reputable mustang specialty shop within walking
distance. They've done many gears. They rebuilt me an 8.8" axle & GT
exhaust take-offs for my old '94 v6 mustang.

I have one last 8.8 to check out, hopefully tomorrow, then I might just
have to put gears and a traction lock in my 7.5".

Thanks for your opinions.
twk

--
For all you know this message was...
Sent via an exclusive network, on a snobby portable computing device.