Old February 3rd 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

Default Mazda and Fiat to co-develop a roadster based on next-gen MX-5Miata

On 5/24/2012 6:29 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Good news for us roadster fans. Should bring more variations on a great
> theme! Maybe more style, maybe more power! That would be sweet! I saw
> this in Gizmag today also.
>

> cd
>

> "MummyChunk" > wrote in
> message news
>> From AB
>>

>> Mazda Press Release: Mazda and Fiat announce co-operation program
>>
>> (23-05-2012) -- Mazda Motor Corporation (Mazda) and Fiat Group
>> Automobiles S.p.A. (Fiat) have signed a non-binding Memorandum of
>> Understanding (MoU) for the development and manufacturing of a new
>> roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo marques based on Mazda's
>> next-generation MX-5 rear-wheel-drive architecture.
>>
>> The study calls for both Mazda and Fiat to develop two differentiated,
>> distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific light weight, roadsters
>> featuring rear-wheel drive. The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will
>> each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.
>>
>> The project assumption is that both vehicles will be manufactured at
>> Mazda's Hiroshima, Japan, plant with production for Alfa Romeo
>> envisaged starting in 2015.
>>
>> "Establishing technology and product development alliances is one
>> of Mazda's corporate objectives and this announcement with Fiat is an
>> important first step in that direction. It is especially exciting to
>> be collaborating with such a prestigious marque as Alfa Romeo on a new
>> roadster based on the next-generation MX-5, which is such an iconic
>> vehicle for Mazda and recognised as the best-selling roadster of all
>> time." said Takashi Yamanouchi, Mazda's Representative Director
>> and Chairman of the Board, President and CEO.
>>
>> "This agreement clearly demonstrates our commitment to Alfa Romeo
>> and the determination to grow it into a truly global brand. By
>> partnering with Mazda, we will be co-operating with the recognised
>> leader in compact rear-drive vehicle architectures in order to deliver
>> an exciting and stylish roadster in the Alfa Romeo tradition. We are
>> appreciative of this collaboration with Mazda and look forward to
>> maintaining a fruitful and continuous relationship." said Fiat
>> CEO Sergio Marchionne.
>>
>> The Final Agreement is expected to be signed in the second-half of
>> 2012.
>>
>> Mazda and Fiat have also agreed to discuss further opportunities for
>> co-operation in Europe.

Or, based upon Fiat's past reputation, a real disaster!
One of the worst cars I've ever driven was a Spanish "copy" of a Fiat,
known as a Siat. Manual gearshift on the dash, no less!
For a company located in a coastal country, the old Fiats sure rusted
out in a hurry!