Old December 30th 07, 08:47 PM posted to sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.democrats
Eeyore

Default Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards, leotard78spwhines again..

Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
>
> >In some European countries diesel cars represent the majority of new car
> >sales. Their economy is undeniable. Their performance is daily improving.

> In the USA, diesel fuel costs more than gasoline. This wasn't always
> the case, which accounts for the initial surge of popularity for
> diesel-powered cars in the US back during the mid 1970s. Nowadays,
> diesel costs even more than premium gasoline, so where's the advantage
> of a diesel-powered car?

Well .. diesel costs a fraction more than gasoline here too but the added
economy more than pays for the difference.

> Also, if diesel fuel is so superior, how come nobody makes a
> DIESEL-electric hybrid?

Almost certainly because they are currently targeted mainly at the US market
where diesel is disliked. You're correct though, a hybrid diesel would make
far more sense than using a gasoline engine. I imagine you could see true 100
mpg figures.

Graham