Old December 30th 07, 06:43 PM posted to sci.environment,rec.autos.driving,alt.politics.democrats
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Coping With The New CAFÉ Standards, leotard78sp whines again..

Scott in SoCal wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:33:41 +0000, Eeyore
> > wrote:
>

>>In some European countries diesel cars represent the majority of new car
>>sales. Their economy is undeniable. Their performance is daily improving.

> In the USA, diesel fuel costs more than gasoline. This wasn't always
> the case, which accounts for the initial surge of popularity for
> diesel-powered cars in the US back during the mid 1970s. Nowadays,
> diesel costs even more than premium gasoline, so where's the advantage
> of a diesel-powered car?
>
> Also, if diesel fuel is so superior, how come nobody makes a
> DIESEL-electric hybrid?

I never understood that myself, as that would appear to be the logical
blending of technologies.

As it is, a VW TDI gets better mileage than most hybrids, so if I were
to buy a new car I'd give it serious consideration. It never gets much
below freezing where I live though.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.