Old February 5th 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jc Maxwell

Default Stuck passenger door lock (1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS)

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 3:57:29 PM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:48:12 -0800 (PST), Jc Maxwell
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 2:57:56 PM UTC-7, Bill Vanek wrote:
> >> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 12:22:09 -0800 (PST), Jc Maxwell

> >> You sure you don't just have a dead battery in the fob? Or maybe just
> >> a bad fob? It could be a cheap fix.

> >Yes to the first - replaced the battery, to no effect.

> Did you program the fob after replacing the battery? It might be
> necessary, even though it's not a new fob. It is necessary with new
> ones.

Can't do it. My particular model year (1998) requires a trip to the dealer to pair new fobs or keys with the car. First-generation PATS wasn't that great.

I have previously replaced the battery in the fob. It didn't require any special procedure, it just worked.

To be clear: the fob stopped working before I tried replacing the battery, not after.

> >As for the second, if I can find a fob tester at a parts store, I can find out if the fob is dead despite having a good battery.

> I think all the national chains have those for the customers to use.

I'll have to pay Pep Boys et al a visit then.