Old March 7th 11, 01:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

Default No handbrake on S4?!????

On 2011-03-07 03:50:16 -0500, laurentien > said:

> On Mar 4, 8:53*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>> On 2011-03-02 22:28:23 -0500, AD > said:
>>
>>> are you kidding me?
>>> http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...e-2011-audi-s4
>>> how do you start going whithout rolling back when sitting uphill?
>>> (Think san francisco)

>> There's a handbrake. *It's a button (electronic rather than
>> mechanical). *Have driven in San Francisco and never used my hand brake
>> on a hill.
>>
>> Dave
>> RS6

> I do not like the idea of having an mechatronical button for
> handbrake.
> I prefer the classical mechanical handbrake because, you can use it to
> get your car to a stop even when energy is turned off.
> I do not think that these new cars have that capacity.
>
> Secondly, in wintery or wet conditions, you can improve car
> performance and handling using the handbrake wisely.
>
> In the past, safety rules were asking for a completely mechanical mean
> for stopping your car overidding everything else
> since mechatronical systems do not show enough reliability to be
> considered sufficiently safe.
> Lexus knows very well the problems with too much mechatronics around
> the car which have led to many casualties.
>
> Well, well, I do not know how this one went through the certification
> process in the EU or USA ?
>
> LHR

Amen. The mechanical-pull-a-lever handbrake allowed some "feeling" to
the process. I am assuming, however, that by pushing the button you
are applying the handbrake at its maximum effort. While I have used
the handbrake while ice racing my 93 S4, I think I would shy away from
it on public roads especially in traffic. Remember, rolling friction
is better than static friction.

Dave
RS6