Old September 5th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E39 Vibration on Braking - help please !

I had a similar problem and still haven't quite fully resolved it. I
have an E39 with 75K. At around 60K I had both my front rotors
replaced by the dealer in Miami. This was around December 2007. Since
then I have gone through 2 other front left rotors trying to resolve
the vibration problems.

First time around I had visible warpage on the left rotor. That rotor
was replaced by the dealer at now charge. About three weeks later the
vibration returned. Took it to the dealer again and they said I had a
bent hub on the left wheel. So I had that replaced (luckily I have
CPO) though I had to buy the replacement rotor because the warpage was
caused by the hub, so I was told. Dealer said both pads and right
rotor were within spec.

Two weeks later I am back at South BMW in Miami with vibration issues
again. This time I am told that my thrust bushing "might" be the
cause. The pads and rotors are inspected and they are within BMW
specs. As for the thrust bushing, they want the tiny sum of $475.00 --
So I found a small independent BMW mechanic that did the job for $200
-- But the vibrations are still there.

As I was ready to throw in the towel, I found an article on StopTech
about the bed-in process. Well I tried this and wouldn't you know, it
actually reduced the vibrations considerably. So I did it again -- and
the vibration has only occasionally appeared. So that is why I say I
still haven't quite resolved it. I may very well have had a bad hub
that caused the first rotor to warp, but the proper bedding in process
has probably made more difference then the thrust bushing (which
weren't visibly bad).

Regards,
Rick