Old April 23rd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1999 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor

50 wrote:

> Hello all. Recently my Civic was taken in for Diagnostic because the
> check engine light came on. The Honda Dealer told me it was the
> secondary Oxy Sensor that needed replacing. They wanted $480.00 for
> the parts/labor (Ouch!). I decided instead to buy the replacement part
> at NAPA and did the job myself. After completing the job the check
> engine light went out for five minutes then came back on.

Dealers!
Good thing you didn't pay $500 for nothing!

> I then took it to the Dealer and they reset the cars computer and the
> light went back out again for five minutes. They did this twice and
> told me I must have gotten a bad part from NAPA. I exchanged the part
> with NAPA, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem.
>
> Should I take it to the dealer and try to have them reset it again?
> Has anyone else had this problem and if so what's the fix. Thanks for
> your help.

Many auto parts stores (dunnow 'bout Napa - ask!) will rent you an OBD
code reader, or read the codes for free in the parking lot. (It's a 2
minute job.)

Check the lead wires near the O2 sensor. I don't know about the Civic
in particular, but in general the O2 wires are in a hot, harh area and
can get beat up.

Did the O2 wiring connector connector go on right? Check both plugs for
grease, oil, goop, etc.

-Greg

--
"Stop throwing the Constitution in my face, it’s just a goddamned piece
of paper!" - George W. Bush.