Old May 24th 14, 06:12 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default GM missed a recall of my 2000 C5.

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Why write GM? Go straight to NHTSA and send it to Mr. Packard, I believe
>>> his name was Dan but no longer have the information available. If you
>>> truly have a problem they will pickup your car and test it, they do not
>>> drive it, they trailer it to their lab enclosed and simulate the issue
>>> by computer.
>>>
>>> Did you read the report of the accident that started this whole thing?
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/bu...shes.html?_r=0
>>>

>>> Amber had put herself at considerable risk on July 29, when her car hit
>>> a tree around 4 a.m. in Dentsville, Md. She was not wearing her
>>> seatbelt, was legally drunk and had reached 69 miles an hour in a 25
>>> m.p.h. zone just before the crash that killed her, according to a crash
>>> report. She was 16................what could GM do to keep her safe,
>>> looks like she had a death wish. The air bags were there because the
>>> automotive industries know that people will do stupid things, like not
>>> wear their seat belts, drink and use drugs, speed and most of all drive
>>> way over their ability.
>>>
>>> As an engineer why would you want a metal key sticking out of the dash
>>> inline with your body parts when a collision does/could occur?
>>>
>>> With the advent of electric power steering will that add to the problem?
>>>

>> ...as an engineer working with modern aircraft, nothing scares me
>> *more* than the thought of a "fly by wire" car...get ready to pay six
>> figures to cover the certification costs of insuring that these
>> abominations aren't impacted by EMI alone.
>>
>> Grief...it's bad enough that my Z06 has an electric gas pedal.
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus

> If that scares you the heart attack of seeing what was controlling the
> B58 would have you out of that C5 in a flash. Been there done that,
> worked on an extended range modifications for a rickety old thing call
> the SR71-c by adding 2 liter of additional oxygen. Which, by the way
> they used to set a speed record to France, but broke it coming back. We
> built F/V/P oxygen valves by the thousands for WWII and not quite that
> many prop hubs, and vacuum pumps. We made the life support cryogenic
> systems for the space suites and the quarantine trailers Our aircraft
> division in Buffalo was spun off and I missed that part of my job, love
> aircraft.

Heh...sounds similar to a few things I've done/witnessed. Like dumping
compressor air to gain stall margin on a cat stroke. And I still don't
trust anti-lock brakes much either...even less so on a motorcycle...

> On the Corvette steering, that I believe is electric on the C7, I was
> not allowed to do any thing other than push the pedals so I still don't
> know how it will feel to steer it with the power off.

Glad my Z06 is an '08...with a real rack and pinion, at least.

--
- Rufus