Old May 23rd 14, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default GM missed a recall of my 2000 C5.

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
>It has a slot for the key ring instead of a single hole. As I was
>driving along, I gave the >key chain a a light tug and the ignition
>switched off. Whie the press says you lose >steering and brakes, you
>actually lose power assist and air bags, but I can't verify >that.
>Being an experienced driver, I pushed in the clutch and restarted the
>engine. >Should I write a letter to GM about this problem?

>I decided to check out the 2009 Malibu, not a part of the recall.
>Even a hard tug on >the keychain would not turn the ignition switch
>off. I turned the ignition off manually >and had steering and
>brakes, unpowered. I put the transmission in neutral and >restarted
>the >engine. No problem.

>According to the published results, all of the fatalities involved
>young new drivers who >believed they couldn't stop or steer and went
>off the road hitting tress without airbag >deployment.

>As an engineer, I thought about this and wondered why the key slot is
>not vertical on >the dash? The recall will simply make it a harder
>pull to turn off the ignition. A vertical >key would make it
>impossible. Just sayin' ...

>Bob, Charlottesville

Why write GM? Go straight to NHTSA and send it to Mr. Packard, I
believe his name was Dan but no longer have the information available.
If you truly have a problem they will pickup your car and test it,
they do not drive it, they trailer it to their lab enclosed and
simulate the issue by computer.

Did you read the report of the accident that started this whole thing?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/bu...shes.html?_r=0
Amber had put herself at considerable risk on July 29, when her car
hit a tree around 4 a.m. in Dentsville, Md. She was not wearing her
seatbelt, was legally drunk and had reached 69 miles an hour in a 25
m.p.h. zone just before the crash that killed her, according to a
crash report. She was 16................what could GM do to keep her
safe, looks like she had a death wish. The air bags were there because
the automotive industries know that people will do stupid things, like
not wear their seat belts, drink and use drugs, speed and most of all
drive way over their ability.

As an engineer why would you want a metal key sticking out of the dash
inline with your body parts when a collision does/could occur?

With the advent of electric power steering will that add to the
problem?