Old May 23rd 14, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Default GM missed a recall of my 2000 C5.

Blue C5 wrote:
> It has a slot for the key ring instead of a single hole. As I was driving along, I gave the key chain a a light tug and the ignition switched off. Whie the press says you lose steering and brakes, you actually lose power assist and air bags, but I can't verify that. Being an experienced driver, I pushed in the clutch and restarted the engine. Should I write a letter to GM about this problem?
>
> I decided to check out the 2009 Malibu, not a part of the recall. Even a hard tug on the keychain would not turn the ignition switch off. I turned the ignition off manually and had steering and brakes, unpowered. I put the transmission in neutral and restarted the engine. No problem.
>
> According to the published results, all of the fatalities involved young new drivers who believed they couldn't stop or steer and went off the road hitting tress without airbag deployment.
>
> As an engineer, I thought about this and wondered why the key slot is not vertical on the dash? The recall will simply make it a harder pull to turn off the ignition. A vertical key would make it impossible. Just sayin' ...
>
> Bob, Charlottesville

It's amazing to me how many people think you will lose control of a car
simply because the engine dies or you turn the key to shut the engine
down...I had the fuel pump go out on my '87 Vette a couple months ago
and just steered the car onto shoulder out of traffic...at night. No
muss no fuss.

As long as the key isn't pulled into the locking position you can drive
the car. So now I have to wonder if the original recall series and
fatalities included cases where the pulling the key ring put the
ignition switch into the fully off position and also locked the steering
column.

But as to your question, yeah - I'd report what you found. Sounds like
all they need do is tell owners to get a re-designed key.

--
- Rufus