Old June 21st 11, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.driving,alt.society.liberalism,alt.fan.noam-chomsky,alt.fan.michael-moore
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher[_2_]

Default Drunken driver hits a bunch of cyclists

On Jun 20, 9:27*am, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser
Philosopher" > wrote:
> Letter addressed to Engineering/Public Works of Bay Harbor Islands:
>
> (the reply --if any-- will be posted here)
>
> Hello,
>
> While you may have one of the most beautiful causeways, overlooking
> the bay and the islands, it's also one of the most hostile to
> cyclists. So much so that we simply stay away from it, even when we
> may take another winding way. The city ordinance that mandates
> cyclists to walk bikes over the bridges is totally senseless,
> particularly at the long bridge over the bay. This is specially
> grinding and dangerous when there's no space whatsoever to walk bike
> on sidewalk. Try it yourself.
>
> One time we were verbally attacked by a vigilante who wanted to
> enforce the ordinance and we were lucky only to lose our pride. He
> claimed he was protecting us while subjecting us to all sorts of
> humiliation. WHY?
>
> It's funny that elsewhere A BICYCLE IS A VEHICLE and yet here it's
> some kind of toy. It seems like the ultimate form of discrimination,
> though a rather sophisticated one. May I remind you that both cyclists
> and pedestrians "run out of sidewalk" at the end of the bridge
> (westbound) and that you must walk over the grass and the mud.
>
> Thank you for your kind reply.

Reply to the letter above:

Please note that bicycles are allowed on the roadway (which includes
the bridges), however, an individual cannot ride their bicycle on the
sidewalk, especially on the bridges. I only ask that you please be
cautious when traversing our causeway on your bicycle. Traffic in
South Florida can be extremely dangerous to cyclists.

I hope this clarifies this issue.

***

My observations:

Unless they were removed recently, the signs state that you MUST walk
bike on sidewalk across bridges creating a CONFLICT upon which
vigilantes feel the obligation to harass cyclists. The same day of the
incident --two years ago-- a policeman waved me off the road, without
taking the trouble to tell me why.

I will try this route again soon.