Old September 3rd 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Default 84 cross-fire value

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2006 11:59:00 -0700, "The Reverend Natural Light"
> > wrote:
>
>> The engine size shouldn't affect the emissions reading. They're
>> looking for concentrations of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
>> Sniffer tests don't capture and measure all the exhaust, just a sample.
>>
>> But, if the baseline is a 2.8L MPFI V6 and the S10 has an old 350 with
>> misadjusted Holly 850 and a rammed out converter then it'll fail. Swap
>> in a stock 5.0/5.7 TPI from same year or newer with all the emissions
>> components and it'll make it.
>>

>> -rev
>>

> In California, they have a profile of each car and option code for
> engines, If the car has a code for a 4cyl engine and it has a V/8 in
> it , then they won't even do a smog on it, If you happen to find an
> idiot that has a smog license and he does attempt to smog it, it will
> promptly fail, as the car's profile for emissions will be that of a
> 4 cyl and the emissions from the V/8 will raise a "flag" in the VID
> (Vehicle Identification Database) report. (the report that the testing
> computer sends back to the state.) The Car then will be "Tagged" and
> future smog tests would have to be at a Certified Test Only Station if
> you are lucky, If you aren't your Car may be Tagged as a "gross
> Poluter" then you are screwed. Oh, and the idiot that smogged your
> car in the first place, He would have lost his license because he has
> just been targeted By the B.A.R.'s enforcment division and they will
> send in a couple tricked out cars to see if he catches them which he
> won't.

Here are the basic ARB/BAR engine replacement guidelines:

<<
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jan_1994.htm

This website also links to a database of ARB approved aftermarket parts
or engine mod kits.

You can deviate from "stock" in California but the "hassle factor" is
unreal. If an engine swap or mod has been done well and you know you'll
pass "functional" and "exhaust" emissions, here's an approach:

Once the car has failed "viaual" at a certified test station, you can
appeal and make an appointment at a "referee" station. These guys are
contractors of the B.A.R. and are there to sort out "special cases."
They won't look at "gross polluters" or "butchered systems" (missing CAT
etc.) or major changes in rear axle (final drive) ratio.

The important thing is to not have a chip on your shoulder. Keep a
positive and co-operative attitude! Be a "good sheep" and do what
you're told!

Referees handle situations where there's a question about an approved
part number to make a particular engine work in a given car; or, when
the Air Resources Board has approved an "off road" component for street
use. (Remember that aftermarket and performance parts are a big
business in California and the state is politically sensitive to the
guys who design, make and sell aftermarket and performance parts.)

The referees go pretty much on what the manufacturer's parts depot says
for visual inspection. Bring a copy of the parts catalog pages, a
letter from the parts depot that says a particular part does the
emissions job on the VIN number in question, etc. Carry along the phone
number of the person who wrote the letter. Once the "visual" hurdle is
crossed, the referee will run a "funcitonal" check and a complete
exhaust gas analysis on the car. If all goes well, you'll be issued a
two year smog certificate. Two years later, you go through the whole
routine again. (Go to a certified station, fail visual, make an
appointment, drive 50 - 75 miles to an appointment at the referee
station, wait your turn etc. etc.) Passing "visual" at a referee
station is no guarantee that the same car and engine will pass two years
later. There's always uncertainty.

I put a "gray market" 911 through this routine three times in seven
years. Finally gave in, sold the 911 in New Mexico and bought my C4.
Much happier now!

--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe