Old January 31st 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default swap late model 1.8 into early Miata

I think that info contemplates an early model 1.8 without variable cam
timing and just reuses the 1.6 computer. That works since the 1.8 cylinder
volume is close enough to that of the 1.6 that at WOT when the computer goes
open loop it will only run a little leaner than Mazda programmed. Since the
stock computer is built with a big safety margin to run rich at WOT, it
porobably actually improves performance.

However, I beleive the late model 1.8 engines are a somewhat different beast
when it comes to their computer controls. I'm sure I've got to use the 1.8
computer and 1.8 engine wiring harness. If I'm wrong, please tell me, but
locking the cam timing in either position seems like a poor idea.

Walt