Old December 17th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default The Positive Side of Sloth

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2005 10:49:11 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:
>
> >> You write software and you still have to drive to work? 4 hours a day,no
> >> less?
> >>
> >> What kind of backwoods state is California anyway? Haven't you gottencable
> >> modems yet?

> >You think someone who writes software never has to meet with a client?
> >You think software installs/troubleshoots itself? Telecommuting is
> >nice, but it doesn't work every day.

> Some employers simply will not allow telecommuting. In their eyes, if
> you're not in the office, you can't possibly be working.
>
> The irony is, you can often get MORE work done when you're at home by
> yourself, free from stupid meetings, needless interruptions, and
> half-hour conversations by the water cooler. But some people will
> never understand that.

I agree 100% with you. Telecommuting can be a great tool, even if it
just allows you to get work done then drive to the office outside of
peak hours. Unlike LA, San Diego's traffic from 10am till about 3pm is
pretty predictable and light, outside of seasonal backups at the
beaches and malls.

Another plus people forget about is I get work done while I make/eat
lunch, which means that I'm fed without wasting a half hour leaving the
bussiness park, office building, whatever and driving somewhere to get
something. That of course leads to buying food for 3 other people, one
of which will have an order with a mistake leading to a return trip and
more wasted time.

That and I start work the same time I'd be getting into traffic, and am
more willing to work late since I don't have a commute home to deal
with.

I'll give SANDAG (SD's regional government entity) credit for educating
businesses on how to use telecommuting effectively to help combat peak
hour congestion. I'm not sure how effective it really is, but I'd
assume with the number of tech jobs down here it's probably helping
remove a few cars from the roads.

Dave