Old August 23rd 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default (UK. )Waiting delivery of new MX-5 Tech Sports (10 days I hope),Tyres??

On 8/21/2010 11:40 AM, Donwill wrote:
> On 21/08/2010 16:35, NetMax wrote:

>>> The latest (UK)MX5 brochure quotes 132 mph for the Sport Tech (soft top)
>>> and 136mph for the retractable hard top version, not that I'm
>>> interested in speeds above 85 mph (French Auto-routes) with very
>>> occasional bursts to 90 perhaps to get clear of difficult, potentially
>>> dangerous bunching on motorways.
>>>
>>> Don- Hide quoted text -

>> Curious why the heavier PRHT would be rated faster? If the engines are
>> the same, then the UK soft top must be getting different gearing (ie:
>> 5MT instead of the 6MT).

> Both have 6 Gears& ratios are the same, maybe the hard top has slightly
> less air resistance. However, the acceleration figures are also
> interesting:- Soft top 0 to 62 in 7.6 secs , Hard top in 7.9secs. Power
> to weight ratio has more influence at lower speed perhaps.
> Don

I think that you have it correct on it being the better aerodynamics
causing the higher possible top speed.

If I remember correctly, the PRHT assembly is 89 pounds, and the soft
top with frame is a little over 45 pounds, equaling less than 50 pounds
of weight difference.

Obviously, every pound counts for handling and acceleration, but not
necessarily on top speed with such a small difference.

Pat