Old November 2nd 11, 03:26 PM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

Default Starter solenoid current?

On 11/2/2011 8:36 AM, Scotty wrote:

> I think that you are thinking of the starter motor current which can
> easily reach 300amps. He is asking about the current draw of the actual
> solenoid.

No, I'm thinking the solenoid, which does draw more current that most
people realize.

> theres two ways of easily testing the actual draw. Use an ammeter in
> series (or clamp style) and test it, or use an ohmmeter to see what the
> resistive load is and work it out that way @ 12v.

An ohmmeter would be less accurate due to the lower resistance, and
would not provide a good indication of shorted turns (assuming that is
his problem...) The best testing tool is a DC clampon meter, a tool that
I find invaluable when diagnosing starter problems.

--
I'm never going to grow up.