Old April 21st 17, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can they do it?)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 19:03:11 +0000 (UTC), Jonas Schneider
> wrote:

>> Then you might as well blindfold yourself and throw darts at the wall.

>No no no.
>All is not lost.
>
>We don't have perfect information.
>But we do have good information.
>
>What you do is read the sidewall.
>
>The sidewall of every passenger car tire sold in the USA contains a wealth
>of information about the construction of the tire, the wet and dry traction
>of the tire, and the treadwear expectancy of that exact tire.
>
>Do I wish we had the factory datasheets?
>Sure.

big snip

>The problem here is that most of us (all of us?) trust our own experience
>far more than we trust others' experience.
>
>That's human nature.

Bought new tires today. Trusted my own experience and consulted with
the dealer. They are the same spec as the OEM tire on my car, but not
the same brand. Why? Because even though the sidewall spec was good,
the Michelin tires were crap. They never rode smooth even though the
balance was checked and they were rotated. Vibration started at 45
and got worse with speed. Very bad at 80 and up.

I finally got rid of them and put on a set of Nokian entyre 2.0.
Steers better, rides better, and smooth to 100 mph, the fastest I
tried so far.

There is more to a good tire than the specs on the sidewall. They have
to be put together properly too.

As for price, I got them from a local dealer for $2 more than on line
prices so that is a plus for me.

After 10k or so I can give a better review to see how they are holding
up. I've had Nokian WRG3 on another car and like them, but now
retired, I'm not planning in driving is snow any more.