Old January 16th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
hobbes

Default Honda Civic 1999, P0135, Oxygen Sensor Change, D16Y7 --- TheStory ....

Hi Jeffery,

I was reading some of your posts about your overheating engine, sorry
to learn you are having some much trouble. I am afraid I am not an
expert in cars and am sort of learning as I go along .....

Oxygen Sensors are more to do with emissions than overheating engines.
If a sensor fails it usually fails safe. Say you cut all the wires to
the sensor, the engine will still run because the ECM car computer
uses a default value and keeps your car running. Your catalytic
converter may suffer a bit as will your miles per gallon petrol usage,
but it is usually O.K. to drive around for a few days until you can
bring the car to a repair place.

The fact that your battery light came on and the oil presure light I
think means your engine stopped running. This means the servo
assistance on the brakes also is not there. Your foot brakes will
work, but they are much harder to push because there is no engine to
help apply preasure. Likewise you may have found the steering also
harder to turn the wheel. Again the power assistance to the steering
may also have been lost.

I think your temperature gauge is not lying and there is also a high
temp warning light and I did not see you mentioning that coming on. So
I think your engine did not overheat in this instance.

Hope you can get your puppy fixed up OK.

Warmest regards, Mike.