Old September 13th 07, 09:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DCA

Default BMW Air mass meter (AKA: air flow meter or MAF) issues and cheapalternatives

My E39 530d (2001) started to behave sluggish tendancies
symptons:
very slow response to acceleration
power reasonable at 1/2 throttle, dire at full throttle
significant loss of power above 3750 rpm
better performance when engine cold.

I disconnected the MAF - the symptoms improved. Diagnosis: the MAF had died.

I sought an OEM replacement for my Bosch 0928 400 468 airflow meter.
Result: part number has changed to 0928 400 527 and cheapest was £175 + VAT

Looked at far Eastern alternatives on eBay - got scared off by mixed
experiences (see my previous post)

I decided to buy a Pierburg alternative which is just the insert (no
housing)

Once I had sourced a security Torx bit, the replacement was a doddle (2
screws) and required very basic DIY skills.

Result - it is now A1 again and the cost was £61 delivered with VAT.

I'm sure they make the alternatives for other models too - my
recommendation is they are well worth a try and they are reassuringly
made in Germany.

I hope this saves someone else time and money.

David