Old April 17th 05, 05:35 PM
redcat

Default ’94 ford explorer –the engine dies while driving

Even though the Fuel pump relay has been replaced, sometimes the car
won’t start. So we do the “take the relay out to cool off” stuff, and
then it will start.

The bigger problem is that at times the engine will die while I’m
driving. The battery light comes on and the rpm goes to zero as the
engine cuts out completely. I’ve been fortunate to be able to
manuever it safely to the side of the road although the power steering
won’t work at that point.

It can be very dangerous and happens without warning. It happened
last week when I was driving on a highway at a constant 55mph and was
60 miles into the trip…. then it happened twice in one day. The first
time I was doing 40mph and only 8 miles from home, got it restarted
and to my destination where the car sat for 3 hours. I was on the way
home and it died when slowing down for a stop sign and only 3 miles
into my return trip.

I usually let it sit for a minute or two and try to restart. If that
doesn’t work, I do the relay thing mentioned above.

The mechanics are mystified. They cannot pinpoint the problem. I’m
afraid to drive it any distance unless my husband is with me.

I looked through a lot of the postings, but didn’t see anything
specific about this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict112534.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=529132