Old May 1st 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

Default More power to the police in high speed pursuit

In article >, dwight wrote:

> In this particular case, this 19 year old kid could have chosen to pull over
> at any time in the 8-minute event without any lasting effects. Talk about
> choices...

What we need to evaluate is the traffic stop itself. Governments see the
traffic stops as money making excerise and use underposted speed limits
to increase their revenues. Cops see it as a way to catch criminals. The
public in general is annoyed and hassled.

But what happens when you get some kid or someone else who makes poor
decisions? He cannot afford being selected for taxation so he runs. What
about someone who's wanted on some stupid petty warrant? He runs too.
Most of these people that have warrants, the government can just go to
the address on their DL to find them. Instead it waits until they have an
interaction with law enforcement at the side of the road.

High speed pursuits could be cut down by getting rid of selective
roadside taxation and just doing some simple police work to pick up
people with warrants.