Old April 8th 10, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mike F.[_2_]

Default Just for Fun

On 4/7/2010 7:14 PM, Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> "Mike F." > wrote in message
>> I'm on my second. The first was a 1990 which went to 185,000 miles,
>> including teaching my daughter to drive. The second is a 1999 with
>> 62,000 miles presently on it.
>>
>> THE 1999 IS FOR SALE!
>>
>> Only 62,000 miles

>> Looks and runs great!
>> Contact MIKE at 609-426-4976 or
>>

> Mike, good to hear from you. Sounds a bit like my Miata method ;-)
> Why are you selling the 99 and what's your plans, car wise / Miata wise?
>
> Also would love to hear what you think of those UHP's and what other
> tires you have experience with, on the miata.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> 99BBB

Chris,

The '99 is for sale because it's just become too uncomfortable for me.
I'm a tall guy and the car's always been tight. In fact, in both of my
Miatas I removed the driver's door arm rest to make more room for my
legs. I hurt my lower back last fall and it's just become too difficult
to fold myself in and out any more. So, as much fun as I have driving
it, off it must go to a new owner.

The replacement is a Mini Cooper S. After a history of rwd sports cars,
the fwd Mini is certainly different! I'm still getting used to it, but
it is a huge amount of fun to drive. The last fwd car I drove seriously
was a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo, which was reminiscent of the older Mini
Coopers. That car was made by Suzuki and had a 3 cylinder
intercooled/turbocharged engine that just wouldn't quit!

As for the UHP tires, I've been pretty impressed with them. Traction in
both wet and dry conditions is excellent. When they do break away in a
corner they do it predictably. I bought them because they were rated
best in wet traction (Tire Rack ratings) for a performance tire, and not
obscenely expensive. My only complaint is that they ride a bit harder
than similar tires from Bridgestone or BFG. In the past I've used
Dunlops with good results, and also TAs. The UHPs are much stickier,
but they are definitely not an all-season tire. I have an alternate set
of rims with Blizzaks mounted up and ready to go at the first sign of
snow! I've used Hakka snow tires in the past with excellent results as
well.

Later,
Mike